If possible your doctor will try to use a urethral catheter. There may be times however where using a suprapubic catheter through your abdominal wall is a better choice. Many patients who use suprapubic catheters say that they actually find them more comfortable than a standard catheter. Clinicians prefer them for some patients because there is a smaller chance of infection
The advantages of a suprapubic catheter
• Your urethra is lined with delicate skin which can be damaged over time if you use a urethral catheter longterm. Suprapubic catheters avoid this and also potential
irritation to the neck (opening) of the bladder where the catheter balloon sits.
• Hygiene is of utmost importance with catheters. Suprapubic catheters are much easier to keep clean because of where they sit on the body. This also makes them easier to wash.
• Suprapubic catheters can be easier to change yourself as well.
• Some patients find that urethral catheters get caught and pulled by clothing more often.
• Bigger tubes can be used with suprapubic catheters which means they are less likely to get blocked
Thank you for reading this blog, we hope you found it useful!